>

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mental Health Blog Awards - not being voted

I've just check the 20 top voted on Wellsphere and it's sad to see that there's not a single blog on mental health.
At the 2008 Medical Blog Award Philip Dawdy's
Furious Seasons and Stephany's Soulful Sepulcher, under the category Best Patient's Blog, are not being voted. The blog that has 888 votes till now ButYouDontLookSick is written by many people, has sponsors and looks more like a site than a blog.
Awards are not only a way of getting personal recognition.
I see it as an opportunity to go beyond the mental health circle:

"I think having these awards is good for raising awareness for our advocacy blogs; that's why I entered so many contests! to help keep mental health awareness out there. But, it can be disheartening at times, feeling like (me for example) am talking to no one or making a difference at all."
Stephany

It's being hard to advocate. Mindfreedom is trying hard to end the forced outpatient electroshock Ray Sandford is having to endure every Wednesday.
I hope that these and some other facts don't let advocates feeling that it's almost impossible to raise awareness.
I hope this is an advice that something must be done.

7 comments:

soulful sepulcher said...

I noticed also that the MedGadget blogs that are most voted for have many advertisements and some even sell products, like site mugs etc. But, at least being on the list of finalists is directing ppl to read our blogs.

But then again, I happened to find the MedGadget site randomly while 'googling' stuff, so that site isn't one of my regular reads either.

Ana said...

Perhaps we should buy a
Message Board Header (Rotating)

(468x60 banner)

Your ad will be displayed under our logo at the top of the message boards. This is a rotating ad, and can display anywhere from three to five ads, depending on the needs of our other advertisers.


Price:
$80 / mo $200 / 3mos

at the site.
LOL

There are other ways to advertise there:
Just go here:
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/advertising.htm

Good to know that being nominated is increasing visits.

This is one of the top 20 at Wellsphere too.

soulful sepulcher said...

That's wonderful! you're in the top 20!

Ana said...

Say what?
I'll check.

Ana said...

No!
I still have 7 votes. LOL
Who is counting?
I love my 7 votes.
:)

Monica Cassani said...

I'm sorry but Wellsphere is a load of crap that comes after us with ass-kissing emails about how wonderful we are...and they're all form letters...the same line of crap to everyone...

I never put any of their stuff on my site...

They just want free content and when I asked if they were going to have pharma ads the guy told me eventually they would...

They'll tell anyone they're hot shit just to get the content...

I don't like having my ass kissed by people who haven't even read my blog...

Kass said...

Tsk, tsk, G. So cynical.

I think it's just a way to aggregate content. They're not partial to the plight of mental health patients or "advancing the cause" of mental health rights. They're trying to be an aggregate blog/social networking version of WebMD. I got sucked into it at first but don't really care anymore. I'm being pulled in all sorts of directions now.

With the economy the way it is, expect to see another dot com fallout. (Look who's being cynical now! Ha!)